Victims talk about Hoopfest shooting

SPOKANE - As five suspects sit in jail for their involvement in Saturday's shooting at Hoopfest, the two women who were shot in the leg are talking about the experience.

"We were walking away and that's when we heard the gunshot," said one of the victims, who don't want their identities revealed in fear of retaliation.

The other victim, a 19-year-old woman said Sunday that she was still hurting and scared.

"I heard the first shot and then realized I'd been shot," said the 19-year-old. "On a scale of 1 to 10, it was a 10, I'd never been in that much pain in my life."

The shooting happened Saturday evening near the Rotary Fountain, police say the result of a fight between two rival gangs, right in the middle of the Hoopfest action.

"I didn't know any of them," said one of the young women.

Both victims say they were sitting near the fountain at Riverfront Park when a fight broke out near them.

"We saw some people walk up and some guy got shoved," said the 19-year-old as she described the fight. "I looked over and saw a gun and I was like, 'oh my gosh there's a gun" and we started to walk fast... and that's when we heard the pop'."

The 'pop' was a gun shot. The 19-year-old was hit in the shin and her friend in the foot.

"Everything blacked out and I didn't know what to do. I was like, 'Oh my gosh, I've been shot," the 19-year-old said.

"I'd never thought I'd ever be shot in my life, It still doesn't seem real to me," said the 22-year-old.

Both women were taken to the hospital, where they were treated and released Saturday night.

The bullet went in diagonal above my shin," said the 19-year-old.

"The bullet went through one of my toes and came up the side of my foot, under my toe," said the 22-year-old.

Both are expected to make full recoveries, but they're outlook on life will never be the same.

"That could be the end of my life right there, just to look at what happened, any second could be the end of our life."

"I think I was unlucky, of all the people down there I was the one that got shot," said the 22-year-old. "Then I think I'm lucky I'm alive, it could have been worse than just in my foot."