SPOKANE, Wash. -

Plumes of smoke were seen from miles away after a fire started in a two-car detached garage near Buckeye and North Howard Monday evening.

One woman was taken to a local hospital after she was burned on her legs. Firefighters say, initially, it appears the woman was cutting something inside the garage but they're not sure what it was. They believe that caused the fire.

Flames were shooting 40 feet in the air when crews arrived, and the fire was burning power lines. Avista was called to shut power off to the house. It then took firefighters 15 minutes to extinguish it. No firefighters were hurt. Another detached garage just north of the building also received some damage.

Firefighters say two military firefighters from Fairchild AFB who live nearby helped people around the home before city crews arrived.

"They knew exactly what they needed to do and they got everybody out of the way and got a garden hose on that (other detached garage) to keep it from burning too. So thanks to them for their help as well," Spokane Fire Department Battalion Chief Joel Fielder said.

Traffic was diverted on Buckeye from north Howard to Wall. Investigators are still trying to find out what exactly happened.