Firefighters responded to heavy smoke inside Global Metal Technologies Thursday morning to find smoldering materials and hydrogen cyanide.
The building is located on the 3200 block of E Trent, just one of several buildings at an industrial complex.
An officer driving by saw smoke coming from the building. Fire crews responded... and took a cautious approach. Inside the crews found smoldering materials, and in the smoke they detected hydrogen cyanide.
Firefighters say it was contained, but closed down Trent Ave. as a precaution so no one would breathe in the hazardous material.
No one was injured and firefighters say there is no need for people who live nearby to worry.
"We're taking precautions for our people to make sure anytime they walk through the are they're going to be decontaminated," said Spokane Fire Department Deputy Chief Bob Hanna.
The Department of Ecology will now investigate to make sure everything is safe.