Two people were taken to the hospital, after escaping an early-morning apartment fire through a window Friday.
The fire happened in Ephrata on the 400 block of Basin Street Northwest, just before 4 a.m. Friday.
Ephrata Fire Chief Jeremy Burns said the male victim received second- and third-degree burns to his face and hands while trying to put out the fire. He was airlifted by MedStar to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. The female victim suffered only minor injuries and was discharged from Columbia Basin Hospital in Ephrata.
Their names have yet to be released.
The electricity in the apartment had been shut off, as the man and woman were preparing to move out. Burns says they were using candles and a kerosene lantern to light the apartment. The lantern caught fire in the kitchen and quickly spread.
The structure is considered a total loss. The nearby Chinook Apartments received only minor damage.