SPOKANE -

It was a chaotic scene at a house fire Saturday afternoon near Joseph and Maple in North Spokane.

The fire was reported around 2:20 p.m. and when crews arrived they found flames shooting from the front windows of the house. Flames were also burning into the attic.

A family of seven had been renting the house for two years and had recently been given an eviction notice from the landlord.

Firefighters believe the fire started in a bedroom, but are unsure of the cause. Investigators will remain on scene to assess the damage.

The family of seven lost everything in the fire and the house itself is a total loss. The renter told KXLY he doesn't have renters insurance and hasn't for the 20 years he's been renting.

The Red Cross is helping the family of seven until they find more permanent housing.