An apartment fire in north Spokane claimed the lives
of two adults Wednesday evening and seriously injured
The fire began around 4 p.m. at the Rosewood Club
Apartments in the 400 block of East Magnesium. Officials
have not released the names of either victim or the
Some residents who were home when the fire began reported
seeing smoke, then hearing an explosion.
"I let all my neighbors know to get out," said Brian
Tozier, who was on his deck grilling when he saw the
Firefighters arrived at the scene, and one of them
rushed into the unit where the fire began to save
anyone who was inside. It was during that daring rescue
that the fire took a turn for the worse.
"The fire flashed, large amount of heat, products
of combustion rushed toward the firefighter who was
making the rescue and did result in pretty significant
thermal burns to his upper torso," said Assistant
Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer.
That firefighter is in serious condition at Sacred
Heart Hospital. A man and a woman who were inside
that unit did not survive.
Other residents are now left picking up the pieces
from the destruction.
"From the look of it, I'm guessing it's a complete
loss," said Alexander Knox while discussing his apartment
unit. "Everything we both had in there is in there."
Knox wasn't home when the fire began. He was on his
way back from shopping, when he got a phone call.
"I got a call from one of my really good friends and
she said 'hey it looks like there's something on fire
over there. It may be your apartment,'" he said.
While Knox wasn't home, his boyfriend was. Knox said
he rushed home, to find his boyfriend was out of the
apartment safe. But, for this couple, the fire doesn't
come with good timing.
"We're celebrating our one year anniversary. But I
just have to keep thinking that it's okay," he said.
"We have each other."
Others who live in the unit say they're just happy
to be alive.