Spokane Murderer Killed in Clallam Bay Prison Break

SPOKANE, Wash. - Kevin Newland, who was imprisoned for the 2006 killing of Spokane resident Jamie Lynn Drake, was shot and killed by a prison guard during an attempted prison break at Clallam Bay Corrections Center Wednesday morning.

The attempted prison break happened just after 10 a.m. when a corrections officer was taken hostage by inmate Dominick Maldonado with a pair of scissors. Meanwhile Newland drove a forklift through the doors of a work area at the prison and then drove into the corrections center's perimeter fences.

A corrections officer fired one shot at Newland, fatally wounding him. Newland died five years to the day after he led detectives to where he had hidden Drake's body underneath the floorboards of his mom's cabin in Addy, Washington.

Drake's mom, Susan Nicholas, said that news of Newland's death Wednesday morning has brought closure to her family.

"I asked if he was dead and she said yes and I basically said Hallelujah," she said. "It brings peace of mind in the fact that we don't have to deal with him ever again."

Nicholas, who said God had a plan for Jamie in her 19 years, said she has long since forgiven Newland for murdering her daughter, but added that she would've rather had him stay alive and serve out his 45-year sentence for Jamie's killing.

Kevin Newland, 25, was convicted in November 2007 of murdering Jamie Lynn Drake and was given a 45-year sentence for her killing. He wouldn't have been eligible for parole until August 2049.

Drake, 19, was a Mead High School graduate who disappeared in June 2006 and was last seen leaving her boyfriend's home on Friday June 23, 2006. A week after her disappearance, Newland was arrested in King County driving Drake's '93 Ford Mustang.

Initially arrested on a charge of possession of stolen property, Newland was extradited from King County and led detectives to where he had hidden Drake's body beneath the floorboards of a his mother's cabin near Addy in Stevens County. Authorities charged Newland with Drake's murder, claiming she had been killed in Spokane County and then deposited her body in Stevens County. In a murder confession to detectives, Newland wrote:

"I Kevin Newland had been drinking Thursday night with four other people. One of the guys there kept offering me drugs and he finally pissed me off bad enough that Jon though it was best for me to leave and offered to take me back to town.He took me to Jordan's apartment and dropped me off. I went into the apartment looking for Jordan I went straight to her room yelled Jordan's name Jamie tapped me on the back of my shoulder I spun around startled her she screamed I threw my left hand over her mouth she bit my left index finger.I threw my right hand into her throat we both fell to the floor my left hand came free. I got up and laid down on the bed. Her leg moved and hit my foot I looked down at her she was looking back trying to get air but unable to I went to the kitchen got a plastic bag and covered her head.Went outside moved her car closer to the apartment went back inside got a sheet laid it on the floor. I got the sheet from a basket by Jordan's bed. I laid the sheet out in the hallway rolled Jamie over onto the sheet and put her into a sitting position then grabbed the corners of the sheet and tied them together. I picked Jamie up by the sheet took her outside down to the car put her in the passengers side on the floor. Drove to my moms house and stuck her under the house."

Subsequent charges followed as Newland took Drake's car and credit card and went on a cross-state shopping spree, racking up purchases on her credit cards in Spokane, Deer Park, Colville and Kettle Falls. Among his purchases, Newland used Drake's credit cards to watch three movies at the Regal Cinemas at NorthTown Mall less than 24 hours after he killed her.

The two knew each other because Newland once dated Drake's roommate.

Prior to Drake's murder Newland had an extensive criminal history, mostly in Stevens County, for writing bad checks, theft of a firearm, vehicle prowling, theft and burglary.

The other man involved in Wednesday's attempted prison break, Dominick Maldonado, was the man behind the 2005 Tacoma Mall Shooting. Maldonado entered the mall in a black trench coat with two guns in a guitar case and walked up to a T-Mobile kiosk, took off his jacket, and started firing.

Maldonado surrendered to police about four hours after he ducked into a music store in the mall and took four hostages, all of whom were released unharmed.

The most seriously wounded victim, Dan McKown, had pulled his own gun and told Maldonado to put down his weapon when he was shot and nearly bled to death. He's still mostly paralyzed in one leg.

Prior to Wednesday's incident Maldonado was serving a 163-year sentence.

The corrections officer that Maldonado briefly took hostage was taken to a local hospital for treatment of his injuries.

The Clallam Bay Corrections Center is currently in lockdown and will remain in that status while law enforcement agencies investigate the attempted prison break and shooting.

Newland is the fourth inmate killed by corrections officers since 2002, according to Department of Corrections spokesperson Maria Peterson.

Two inmates were killed in separate incidents at the Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla. In two separate incidents in January and November of 2002, tower guards shot and killed two inmates when they attempted to kill other inmates during fights.

In 2003, an inmate at Stafford Creek Corrections Center escaped and was shot by officers who attempted to catch him in the woods nearby. He died two days later.

RELATED VIDEOS:Newland convicted of Spokane teen's murderKevin Newland's murder confessionCameras caught on tape Newland's road trip at murder victim's expenseNewland admits guilt in Jamie Drake's deathMurder suspect allegedly took victim's credit cards on shopping spreeNewland charged with Jamie Drake's murderInvestigators: Newland admitted to murderMissing woman's remains found in Stevens CountyDetectives seek potential witnesses in Jamie Drake caseCar recovered but still no sign of Jamie Drake and KXLY4's Erik Loney contributed to this report