City officials, Spokane Police and the Spokane Homeless Coalition is coming up with a plan to deal with the growing homeless encampment under Interstate 90. The homeless coalition will provide housing and social services; but the city will also enforce its ordinance prohibiting camping on public or private property. KXLY was first to report the growing issue and what police refer to as a public health hazard, with human waste littering the area and alcohol and trash left behind. What you do think: does the homeless encampment bother you? Should the city take action or let them be? Leave your comments below.
Local News Headlines
- Thirst for craft beer fuels large crop of hops
- Arrest in Salem, Ore., cat poisoning cases
- Spokane Police lets kids be cops for a day
- Should Washington mail-in ballots have prepaid postage?
- 2 Pasco, Wash., workers rescue man from burning house
- Washington inmate sentenced in Portland for tax fraud
- U of O documents: 2 librarians reported under investigation
- 2-year sentence for pouring hot grease on ex-boyfriend
- Deputies searching for cattle prod wielding yogurt shop robber
- School where student was shot completes emergency drill