WASHINGTON (CNN) - A list of names -- including some Republican members of Congress -- was found with the Alexandria shooter, according to a law enforcement source and Rep. Mo Brooks, who was on the list and present at the practice but unharmed by the shooting.
James Hodgkinson, 66, from Belleville, Illinois, was shot dead by police after opening fire in Alexandria, Virginia, on Wednesday. Hodgkinson maintained a social media presence that was pro-Bernie Sanders and anti-Republican.
The law enforcement source tells CNN that it's not clear it is an assassination list. None of the victims injured in the attack were on the list, the law enforcement source said.
House Majority Whip Rep. Steve Scalise was the only congressman injured in the shooting.
Brooks told CNN that he was contacted by Capitol Police and told his name and office number were on the list. Brooks said the list was short and the other names he was told of were also GOP congressmen. Brooks says he is "advising my office personnel and friends to be extra wary in my presence."
Rep. Trent Franks told Kate Bolduan on "Erin Burnett OutFront" that he has also been contacted by Capitol Police. Franks added that "it's clear that (the shooting) was premeditated," but he declined to confirm the existence of a possible list, citing the ongoing investigation.
A spokeswoman for Capitol Police did not return CNN's request for comment.
The story was first reported by The Daily Caller.
- Titanic artifact exhibition opens Saturday
- Studying hate to fight it: GU kicks off fourth International Conference on Hate Studies
- East Valley Middle School's proactive approach to bullying
- Police search for car that hit and killed cyclist
- Voters may receive envelopes without ballots in Spokane County
- Federal felon arrest finds large amount of drugs and guns