SEATTLE - Two years ago, Richard Sanders lost his seat on the state Supreme Court in an extremely close election. Now he's seeking to return.
His opponent is longtime appeals lawyer Sheryl Gordon McCloud. Sanders and McCloud are fighting to replace retiring Justice Tom Chambers in the Nov. 6 election.
They offer similar philosophies when it comes to constitutional protections of criminal defendants. In other ways they differ.
Sanders voted in 2006 to uphold Washington's Defense of Marriage Act prohibiting gay marriage. McCloud has done work on gay rights cases.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday