SEATTLE - Two years ago, Richard Sanders lost his seat on the state Supreme Court in an extremely close election. Now he's seeking to return.
His opponent is longtime appeals lawyer Sheryl Gordon McCloud. Sanders and McCloud are fighting to replace retiring Justice Tom Chambers in the Nov. 6 election.
They offer similar philosophies when it comes to constitutional protections of criminal defendants. In other ways they differ.
Sanders voted in 2006 to uphold Washington's Defense of Marriage Act prohibiting gay marriage. McCloud has done work on gay rights cases.
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital