BOISE, Idaho - A Republican senator is drawing comparisons between the roles insurance companies are playing in the federal health care overhaul to the plight of Jews during the Holocaust.
Sen. Sheryl Nuxoll of Cottonwood made the analogy this week in emails and Twitter. Nuxoll opposes President Obama's health care overhaul and Idaho's own plan to set up an online marketplace to buy health insurance.
In an email obtained by the Spokesman-Review, Nuxoll says the federal government is using private insurers now -- but ultimately intends to phase those companies out in favor of a socialistic health care system.
She wrote: "Much like the Jews boarding the trains to concentration camps," private insurance companies are being led to their ultimate demise.
Nuxoll says she means no disrespect to the Jewish community.
- New report says Spokane spends $1M on cops in schools
- Spokane man splits top prize in television reality show
- A robot that picks apples? Replacing humans worries some
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Naked man arrested in community college women's bathroom
- 4 Things to Know for April 28th