BOISE, Idaho - An Idaho businessman and school board member is running as a Democrat for governor.
Anthony "A.J." Balukoff announced his campaign at a Boise elementary school near his home Tuesday.
So far, he has no rival Democrat in May's primary.
If he wins, he'll face the victor in the Republican primary that features Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter and Sen. Russ Fulcher of Meridian next November.
Balukoff is the Boise School Board chairman, an accountant and businessman who with others owns Boise's Grove Hotel, the Century Link Arena and the Idaho Steelheads hockey team.
Balukoff, who is 67, says education will be a campaign focus.
He plans to spend the next 11 months trying to convince Idaho voters to elect a minority Democrat as chief executive, something that hasn't happened since 1990.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River