VANCOUVER, Wash. -

 A woman who died in a house fire Friday in Vancouver perished from inhaling smoke.

She was identified by the Clark County medical examiner's office on Monday as 58-year-old Donna M. Franchino of Vancouver. The office says her death from smoke inhalation was an accident.

The Columbian reports a neighbor heard an alarm and saw flames in the house.

Neighbors say Franchino's son tried to break in with an ax to save his mother who was trapped in a bedroom of the single-family home.

It was still in flames when firefighters cut a hole in the wall to rescue her, but she did not survive.