Great Falls, MT -

A rural fire chief says fireworks likely caused a fire that destroyed a house in Belt over the weekend.

Belt Rural Fire District Chief Travis Johnson tells the Great Falls Tribune that the call came in at 12:03 a.m. Saturday. The house was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived.

Witnesses said the fire started on the roof of the cedar shake house and that people had been shooting off fireworks in the area.

Johnson says the older house was a total loss. The homeowner and his dog made it out of the house safely.