Gov. Jay Inslee says that longshoreman picketing the site of Seattle's $2 billion tunnel project have agreed to allow work at the site to proceed while they continue to seek resolution with the contractor in a dispute over jobs.
Inslee said Tuesday that the president of International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 19 has agreed to dismantle the picket line that has been up since Aug. 20, and that the boring machine could be running within the next few days.
Boring at the tunnel project began at the end of July, as the world's largest tunneling machine started digging a pathway that will ultimately carry vehicles under downtown.
The longshoremen, who view the waterfront positions as their territory, are upset about four jobs that involve loading excavated dirt onto a barge. They believe a contract signed earlier this year gives them the barge-loading jobs.