BOISE, Idaho -

Fire officials in Boise say rescuers carried an inebriated tenant from a home after fireworks set a living room chair on fire.

Boise Fire Battalion Chief Steve Rasulo tells the Idaho Statesman the rescue took place about 9 p.m. Tuesday.

Rasulo says a neighbor saw smoke and pounded on the man's door but got no answer and called 911.

Firefighters entered the smoke-filled apartment and found the man on the bed and carried him out. Paramedics checked him over and released him at the scene.

Investigators say an older piece of furniture in the living room had been ignited by fireworks and was smoldering.

Rasulo says the man could have died of smoke inhalation or burns if the neighbor hadn't alerted authorities.