During a court appearance Monday afternoon, where suspect Joseph Davis was making an appearance on charges of felony injury to a child, prosecutors confirmed baby Maliki had died.

Davis made his court appearance wearing a black jail outfit, which means he has been placed on suicide watch by the Kootenai County Jail.

Friday night Coeur d'Alene Police were called to a home on the 800 block of N. 5th Street where they found Maliki, who was 17 months old, having difficulty breathing. He had obvious signs of head trauma and, after being taken to Kootenai Health, was flown to Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane.

Davis, who was Maliki's stepfather, was home alone with the child and told police he'd only been in the home for about 20 minutes and claimed he didn't know how he had been injured.

Maliki's mom Dacia Cheyney found him on the floor Friday night under a blanket. He wouldn't open his eyes, he wouldn't smile. When your child is in a coma, in critical care and not breathing on his own the only thing you can think to do is pray. Cheyney said she spent Sunday night with her son. She never expected it to be their last.

There's no proper way to say goodbye to a boy who had just begun to live. At just 17 months Maliki Wilburn liked bugs, snakes and smoothies and his opportunities were endless.

“It doesn't happen close to home. It's just stuff you see on TV somewhere else, it doesn't happen to you it doesn't happen in this area," Antonio Wilburn, Maliki's dad, said.

Since Friday night Dacia and Antonio have stayed by their son's side, hoping to see that beaming smile one more time.

“She slept in the room with him last night and was there with him throughout the night," Wilburn said.

Doctors say Maliki's skull was fractured and it was no accident. Police arrested Davis and charged him with felony injury to a child. He found out in court Monday he'd be facing a homicide charge instead when the prosecuting attorney announced they had just received word Maliki had died.

Now all that's left is justice and Cheyney and Wilburn wondering if things will ever be normal again.

“There is no, 'How are you doing?' 'cause you're not doing," Dacia Cheyney said.

Davis is being held on a $1 million bond at the Kootenai County Jail.

A candlelight vigil was held for baby Maliki on Monday night outside of Sacred Heart Children's Hospital.

Dozens of friends and family members gathered with Maliki's parents to pray and light a candle in honor of the little boy. At the vigil, Maliki's father announced that they will be donating their son's organs so that he can help others.

A family friend led the group in prayer calling baby Maliki a hero, saying this mighty sacrifice will give other children a second chance.