RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- - A Virginia man has agreed to have a vasectomy as part of a plea deal that will shorten his prison sentence in a child endangerment case by about five years.
Shenandoah County assistant prosecutor Ilona White says she came up with the idea for the unusual condition after a judge in a previous case expressed concern that 27-year-old Jessie Lee Herald had fathered seven children with six different women.
Herald's attorney, Charles Ramsey, says he had some hesitation about the deal but was obligated to pass it along to his client. He says it was a difficult decision for Herald, who is serving four years in prison.
Critics are calling this a throwback to a time in America when forced sterilizations were carried out on people deemed genetically inferior.
Do you agree with the plea deal?
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line