PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) - - A Florida woman is charged with child neglect after police say she let her 7-year-old son walk to a park alone.
Thirty-four-year-old Nicole Gainey of Port St. Lucie was arrested Saturday.
Police say her 7-year-old son was en route to a park about a half-mile from home when lifeguards spotted him sitting alone at a nearby pool. When they questioned him, he ran toward the park, where officers picked him up.
According to a police report, Gainey told officers she allowed her son to go to the park unsupervised once or twice a week.
Attorney John Whitehead of the Rutherford Institute, a Virginia-based civil liberties group representing Gainey, says his client is a good mother who is scared but ready to fight the charge.
Should she face charges or did police go overboard?
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River