COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho (AP) -- - The American Civil Liberties Union is challenging a judge's decision to hold a 15-year-old accused of killing his father and brother in the Kootenai County jail with adult inmates.
The Idaho ACLU on Friday filed a brief in support of Public Defender John Adams' petition seeking to return Eldon Samuel to the county's Juvenile Detention Center.
District Judge Benjamin Simpson on July 1 ordered Samuel transferred to the county jail to keep him away from other juveniles. Simpson ordered that Samuel be held in solitary confinement at the adult jail.
Samuel is charged as an adult with shooting 46-year-old Eldon Samuel Jr. and shooting and stabbing 13-year-old Jonathan Samuel in an emergency housing unit in Coeur d'Alene in March.
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday
- 80-year-old woman dies in northern Idaho house fire
- Mexico club shooting: Spokane woman one of the injured