COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho (AP) -- - The American Civil Liberties Union is challenging a judge's decision to hold a 15-year-old accused of killing his father and brother in the Kootenai County jail with adult inmates.
The Idaho ACLU on Friday filed a brief in support of Public Defender John Adams' petition seeking to return Eldon Samuel to the county's Juvenile Detention Center.
District Judge Benjamin Simpson on July 1 ordered Samuel transferred to the county jail to keep him away from other juveniles. Simpson ordered that Samuel be held in solitary confinement at the adult jail.
Samuel is charged as an adult with shooting 46-year-old Eldon Samuel Jr. and shooting and stabbing 13-year-old Jonathan Samuel in an emergency housing unit in Coeur d'Alene in March.
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties