(AP) - Spokane Public Schools could have its own armed police force as soon as January.
13 already commissioned district employees are expected to start wearing Glock pistols at their sides.
Each high school and middle school would have an armed officer.
District security director Jason Conley says arming resource officers is one safety measure in response to the December school shooting in Newtown, Conn.
The district also plans more internal door locks in schools.
Would you like to see an armed police force just for Spokane schools?
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults