SEATTLE - Amazon's profit and revenue both grew in the latest quarter, but its results are below what Wall Street was expecting and shares of the world's biggest online retailer are down sharply.
Amazon.com Inc. said Thursday that it earned $239 million, or 51 cents per share, in the October-December period. That's up from $97 million, or 21 cents per share, in the same period a year earlier.
Seattle-based Amazon says that its revenue grew 20 percent in the fourth quarter, to $25.59 billion from $21.27 billion.
FactSet says analysts were expecting earnings of 74 cents per share on revenue of $26.05 billion.
For the current quarter, Amazon is forecasting revenue of $18.2 billion and $19.9 billion. Analysts expect $19.67 billion.
Amazon's stock is down 10 percent in extended trading.
- CDA students fuse technology, creativity and garner international attention
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car