SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - A new Walmart opened in the Spokane Valley Wednesday morning at 5025 East Sprague Avenue, giving people not only another place to shop but another place to work as well.
The new store opened at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday and will be open 24-hours-a-day. A ribbon cutting and temporary rush ended weeks of preparation for employees and customers.
"It's just a rush. It's a thrill it's exciting, we've been here for ever setting up," employee Kayla D'April said.Spokane Valley Walmart ribbon cutting
The store is one of three Walmarts opening in Washington Wednesday. The other two are in Bellevue and Lynnwood but by far the store in Spokane Valley is the biggest in size and jobs created.
One of those people who got a job was Kayla D'April, who was unemployed for nine months and looking for a job when the new store started hiring. Now she's employed at the deli counter.
"It'll help pay my bills, and going to be okay, surviving, but the best part is that Walmart has so much to offer so it wasn't like I just got a job. I got friends, I got family to work with, they take care of you, they're here for you and it's a good job to work at," she said.
In all 350 new positions were created with the Valley store opening.
- I-90 closed at Vantage Bridge due to crash
- What's considered low-income in Spokane?
- Former WSU student sentenced to 12 years for drugs
- CDA students fuse technology, creativity and garner international attention
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump