NEW YORK (AP) - Mall of America, the nation's largest shopping mall, will be closed on Thanksgiving this year.
The Bloomington, Minnesota, center has been open on the turkey feast since 2012. But the mall told The Associated Press it wants to offer workers time with their families on the holiday.
The mall will re-open at 5 a.m. the day after Thanksgiving.
Given its size and status, the move could inspire other stores to follow suit.
Mall of America said some of its tenants may choose to be open on Thanksgiving. So it will have security and other key personnel on duty to ensure smooth operations.
The Friday after Thanksgiving had long been the official kickoff to the holiday shopping season. But over the past several years, Thanksgiving has become the new tradition.
- Airmen blocked access to Trump's inauguration by protesters
- Spokane police officer saves woman from burning car
- Update: Northern Idaho authorities clear deputy in fatal crash
- One person killed in early morning house fire
- Viral video features Spokane area airmen being blocked by protesters
- 92-year-old man attempts snow shoeing for first time