ELK, Wash. - On Tuesday night around 10, Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies responded to a report of a shooting behind Miller's One Stop in Elk, WA.
The call reported hearing gunshots behind the store and that an adult male was shot and possibly deceased.
Spokane County Fire District 4 and Deer Park Ambulance personnel arrived and began life-saving efforts to the male while arriving deputies secured the scene.
Life Flight was requested and, with the assistance of Washington State Patrol, the Newport Highway was closed for a short time to allow Life Flight to safely land.
Life Flight transported the male to a local hospital for treatment where he was later pronounced deceased.
Initial information indicates this was a domestic violence incident that escalated to the male shooting at an adult female as she fled the scene in a vehicle. The male then turned the firearm on himself. The uninjured victim has been contacted and is safe.
Detectives are continuing to investigate to determine the facts of this incident, but do not believe anyone else was involved or that there is any existing danger to the community.
The Spokane County Medical Examiner's Office will release the name of the deceased, as well as the cause and manner of death, when appropriate to do so.
- Some Spokane shoppers trade Thanksgiving meals for holiday deals
- Inmates build a better future at Geiger Corrections Center
- Red Lion Hotels builds life-size gingerbread house
- Spokane seniors receive Thanksgiving meals and cheer
- Thanksgiving tradition: Turkey Bowl
- Police arrest man suspected of robbing pot shop, shooting clerk