YAKIMA, Wash. - The man fatally shot by a Yakima police officer has been identified as a 24-year-old Yakima man, Rolando H. Villanueva.
The officer was identified Monday as 33-year-old Ira Cavin, a nine-year veteran in the traffic enforcement unit.
Police say an officer attempted to pull over Villanueva Saturday night for erratic driving and he attempted to flee. The chase ended on an Interstate 82 onramp where police say the driver rammed several cars and was shot.
The Yakima Herald-Republic reports it was the fifth police shooting this year in the city. Three people have been killed.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line