YAKIMA, Wash. - A federal judge has ruled the Roman Catholic Diocese of Yakima was not responsible for the sexual abuse of a 17-year-old boy by a Zillah church deacon in 1999.
Judge Edward Shea on Thursday rejected arguments that the diocese failed to screen and supervise the deacon when it accepted him as a candidate for priesthood.
The Yakima Herald-Republic reports lawyers for the victim are deciding whether to appeal. The lawsuit sought $8 million.
The deacon fled to Mexico after the incident and did not return to the United States.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives