SELAH, Wash. - What looks like a giant eggbeater sitting in an irrigation canal near Selah is a turbine testing the potential to generate electricity from the water moving through Yakima Basin canals.
The equipment was first installed in the Roza Canal last August by Vancouver, British Columbia, based Instream Energy Systems. Engineers will continue to monitor the turbine this summer.
The Yakima Herald-Republic reports (http://bit.ly/1kTjIri ) the Energy Department and Bureau of Reclamation are interested in the study because of the possibility for similar projects throughout the West.
The turbines can be added to canals with minimal environmental impacts.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives