NINE MILE FALLS, Wash. - A head-on crash in Stevens County killed an elderly woman and sent her husband to a local hospital on Tuesday night.
The crash happened just north of Nine Mile Falls at Swenson Road and Mckenzie Woolard Road around 7 p.m.
Deputies said a 17-year-old man swerved to avoid hitting a disabled vehicle that was in the middle of the road. The man crossed into oncoming traffic, hitting the elderly couple's vehicle. The driver, Gary Flyckt, 73, was transported to Sacred Heart Medical Center with unknown injuries. His wife, Jonina Flyckt, 72, was pulled from the SUV with serious injuries. Medics performed CPR on her, but she couldn't be revived.
The teen driver was released to his parents.
Crews said the way that the road is built made it hard to avoid the crash.
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blachard shooting identified
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday
- 80-year-old woman dies in northern Idaho house fire
- Mexico club shooting: Spokane woman one of the injured
- Preparing for icy winter weather