MEDICAL LAKE, Wash. - A gust of wind tore the roof off a building in Medical Lake around 3 p.m. Monday.
No one was inside the apartment building on Espanola in northwest Medical Lake at the time the roof was torn off the building.
A gust front moved through the area Monday afternoon along with some rain showers at the time of the incident.
Spokane County Fire District 3 responded to make sure everyone was ok. One man was inside the building at the time the roof was torn off but no one including that individual was injured.
Lee Hegel lives in a home right behind the motel and says it sounded like a plane crashed right behind his house.
"I was dumbfounded, I didn't know what the heck would have caused that except it had to be a horrible wind come out of the sky," he said.
Part of the roof blew up against a power pole, leading to a localized power outage in the neighborhood.
Avista responded to turn off the downed power lines, which knocked out power to Hegel's home as well.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River