MANSFIELD, Wash. - A spokesman for firefighters battling a wildfire near Mansfield says they're gaining the upper hand.
Ron Fryer says they should be in "good shape" by the end of Tuesday if the weather holds, and they could declare the fire contained by Friday.
About 200 firefighters are at the scene. The fire broke out Sunday evening and burned about 2 square miles of grass and brush and also destroyed two single-wide trailers.
Some residents of the McNeil Canyon were advised they may have to evacuate, but Fryer says that's unlikely now.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday