Two people died in a two-vehicle collision at the intersection of Trent Ave. and Starr Rd.
The collision happened at 3:53 p.m. Tuesday and involved a semi and a pickup truck.
"One vehicle was traveling eastbound and it appears they were trying to turn northbound onto Starr and the semi truck was traveling westbound," Sgt. Gabe Olson with Washington State Patrol said.
Witnesses said the pickup truck hit the semi head-on. An elderly couple, driving in the truck, died at the scene. The driver of the semi was not injured.
Dale Ames owns a business at the corner of Trent and Starr, just feet from the accident. On Tuesday afternoon, he heard the loud crash and immediately called 911.
"We hear the traffic out here, screeching tires, several accidents, it's a very dangerous intersection," Ames said.
Ames wishes something could be done to curb the number of collisions and make the area safer.
"There needs to be a spotlight or a roundabout to eliminate the speed and the accidents that occur. There's been a number of accidents out here," Ames said.
Trent Ave at Starr Road was closed for four hours as Washington State Patrol investigated the scene. The road opened back up around 8 p.m. Tuesday night.
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up
- Local school district tackles '13 Reasons Why'
- Humane Society volunteer wins award for shelter