SPANGLE, Wash. - Firefighters responded to a fully-engulfed barn fire in Spangle early Tuesday morning, which destroyed the barn and killed three pigs inside.
The fire was reported just before 4 a.m., near Main Avenue and 7th Street. Firefighters said when they arrived, power lines were downed all around the building. They could not get close to the fire until the lines were off, so they had to let it burn down.
Avista arrived at the scene to turn off the power lines about an hour after the fire was reported.
Firefighters said they will be at the barn throughout the morning investigating the cause of the fire.
The owners of the barn said it was built in the 1950's by the owner's father. They also said the pigs belonged to their grandchildren, who were raising them for the fair.
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car
- Don't leave valuable property in your car