SPOKANE, Wash. - Three people are being treated at Deaconess Medical Center in Spokane for apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.
The incident happened at a home on Fairview Road in Mead early Tuesday afternoon. Authorities say a technician working on the gas fire water heater inside the residence was found unconscious, and when fire crews responded they thought it was some sort of medical issue.
The first firefighter on scene put his oxygen mask on just in case it was not medical and when he walked into the room the CO readings were off the chart. The levels were reading above 900; a carbon monoxide detector for the home is set to go off if levels reach 150.
Firefighters decided they had to get the victim out immediately so they shoulder carried him from the home, the victim regained consciousness and was transported to the hospital for treatment.
After the technician was transported, the homeowners began to complain about flu-like symptoms, which are also symptoms for carbon monoxide poisoning, and they were also transported to the hospital.
Investigators are at the residence working to determine the cause of the leak.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home