An 18-year-old man drowned in the Spokane River right off of Sullivan Road in Spokane Valley Tuesday afternoon.
Spokane Valley Police and Fire crews are on the scene along the banks of the river working to recover the victim.
Fire officials say the male and his girlfriend when he got sucked under. Eyewitnesses were able to pull him out of the river and onto a rock and performed CPR on him but they were not able to save him.
MedStar was launched to help bring the victim to the hospital but after several minutes on the ground the helicopter took off without the victim.
Authorities say if he had been wearing a life jacket he would have survived.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home