RICE, Wash. - The Stevens County Sheriff's Department is investigating a fatal officer-involved shooting that happened early Tuesday evening in Rice, Wash.
According to investigators, a homeowner called authorities around 6 p.m. to report someone banging on their door. It's now believed that man may have been there to repossess a piece of property.
The man fired a shotgun at a detective when he arrived, wounding his hand and ear. The detective returned fire, killing the suspect.
The deputy was transported to the hospital for non life-threatening injuries and was released several hours later.
More information about the incident is expected to be released Wednesday.
- Mumps case confirmed in northern Idaho
- Washington teacher on leave over offensive Facebook post
- Sgt. Moore awarded Medal of Honor
- 17-year-old accused of stabbing, killing twin brother
- County methadone program widens amid rise in heroin deaths
- Yakima home invasion ends with homeowner shooting suspects