SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - Deputies have successfully talked an armed, suicidal man out of harming himself, bringing to an end a standoff near the intersection of Tschirley and Sprague in Greenacres.
Spokane County Sheriff's spokesman Deputy Craig Chamberlin said the man was sitting in a vehicle and is armed with a .44 caliber handgun. Spokane Valley Police and Fire units responded to the scene.
The roads in the vicinity of the intersection at Tschirley and Sprague were shut down while Central Valley School District, as soon it heard about the incident, brought all student athletes into Greenacres Middle School, which was near where this man was parked in his vehicle, as a precaution.
Deputies were able to talk the man down just after 5 p.m.
- Man found dead in downtown Spokane parking lot
- Riverfront Park construction progresses
- Study shows Spokane Police Department needs more officers
- Mom of son with rare disease says healthcare decision is about more than 'politics'
- Summer thunderstorms leave a mess for some residents around region
- Airman found dead in dorm at Fairchild