SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - Deputies have successfully talked an armed, suicidal man out of harming himself, bringing to an end a standoff near the intersection of Tschirley and Sprague in Greenacres.
Spokane County Sheriff's spokesman Deputy Craig Chamberlin said the man was sitting in a vehicle and is armed with a .44 caliber handgun. Spokane Valley Police and Fire units responded to the scene.
The roads in the vicinity of the intersection at Tschirley and Sprague were shut down while Central Valley School District, as soon it heard about the incident, brought all student athletes into Greenacres Middle School, which was near where this man was parked in his vehicle, as a precaution.
Deputies were able to talk the man down just after 5 p.m.
- Street closed on 26th and Pines due to water main break
- Zag fans face cold to catch final MBB home game
- Solid waste collectors and police collaborate to fight crime
- Spokane's beloved K9 Laslo retires
- City of Spokane tries new techniques to tackle potholes
- Waterless week for nearly 300 patrons in CDA