Spokane Police Detectives believe they've put a stop to a three day stabbing spree that put two members of the same family in the hospital.
Cpl. Lydia Prichard with the Spokane Police Department said 21-year old Joel M. Arevalo stabbed his step-dad Tuesday night in North Spokane and then attacked his step-grandpa Thursday night at a home in West Central.Stabbing suspect charged in 2nd attack
On Tuesday, a man was stabbed 16 to 19 times in the neck and back while walking to a north Spokane Walgreens to buy a soda. The victim was taken to a local hospital.
Prichard said on Friday the victim was finally well enough to talk to detectives and tell them it was his step-son, Joel Arevalo who stabbed him.
Police didn't have to look very far to find Arevalo because he was already booked into jail after he allegedly stabbed his step-grandpa in the chest.
According to police, Arevalo slashed the tires on his step-grandpa's truck Thursday night, broke into his apartment and stabbed him in the chest while he was still in bed. Police arrested Arevalo nearby and recovered a knife.
Arevalo now faces two counts of 1st degree assault and one count of 1st degree burglary.
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up
- Local school district tackles '13 Reasons Why'
- Humane Society volunteer wins award for shelter