SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police captured a drive by shooting suspect after he crashed his getaway car in North Spokane.
Police responded to reports of shots fired in the area of Dutch Jake Park, 2200 W Broadway at about 8:22 PM on Thursday.
Witnesses reported hearing multiple gunshots and saw people running through alleys at that location and described the fleeing vehicle as a black 4-door Pontiac.
Later in the evening Officer Casey Jones spotted the vehicle going northbound on Post at a high rate of speed at attempted a traffic stop. The driver failed to stop and lost control while making a left turn onto Stevens from Queen, sliding into a yard and striking a tree.
The driver and an unknown passenger ran from the vehicle. The driver was located near Rowan and Washington and taken unto custody. He has since been identified as 32-year-old Ricky Leon and was booked into jail for first degree assault.
K9 units and Spokane County Air 1 were both brought in to assist with the search, but the passenger could not be located.
During the search, a victim with a gunshot wound to his leg arrived at a local hospital for treatment for the wound. It was determined that the victim at the hospital and the drive by were related.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults