MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Alabama has a ringer in Montgomery, which has won its bid to host the World Horseshoe Tournament.
City officials on Thursday announced that the tournament will be held at the Cramton Bowl Multiplex in Montgomery in July 2016.
The Montgomery Advertiser reports that Montgomery was one of several cities vying for the competition, presented by the National Horseshoe Pitchers Association.
Kay McCreery, the city's special recreation programs director, said the final choice came down to Montgomery and Spokane, Washington, before Montgomery landed the event.
The 2014 tournament is taking place in Buffalo, New York.
Dawn Hathcock, vice president of the Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce's Visitors and Convention Bureau, said about 2,000 people are expected to visit for a two-week period around the time when the event is held.
- 4 Things To Know For April 26
- Spokane family knows first hand high demand for behavioral health services
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up