MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Alabama has a ringer in Montgomery, which has won its bid to host the World Horseshoe Tournament.
City officials on Thursday announced that the tournament will be held at the Cramton Bowl Multiplex in Montgomery in July 2016.
The Montgomery Advertiser reports that Montgomery was one of several cities vying for the competition, presented by the National Horseshoe Pitchers Association.
Kay McCreery, the city's special recreation programs director, said the final choice came down to Montgomery and Spokane, Washington, before Montgomery landed the event.
The 2014 tournament is taking place in Buffalo, New York.
Dawn Hathcock, vice president of the Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce's Visitors and Convention Bureau, said about 2,000 people are expected to visit for a two-week period around the time when the event is held.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday