BENTON COUNTY, Wash. - A Spokane inmate serving time for several manslaughter convictions died Tuesday after he was tased by a corrections officer in a Benton County jail.
The Benton County Sheriff said 29-year old Kevin T. Culp suffered a medical condition last week and while nurses and a guard were trying to help, Culp became combative. To get Culp under control, an officer tased him.
Shortly after the incident, Culp became unresponsive and was transported to the hospital.Spokane inmate dies after being tased in Benton County
In 2007, Culp was convicted for shooting 19-year old Cedric Sykes after a photo shoot for a rap album at a local cemetery. Sykes had been hired to take photographs for the album.
While awaiting trial for that charge, Culp caused a deadly crash along I-90 in Post Falls.
According witnesses, Culp crossed the centerline and ran head on into a van. The crash killed two woman instantly. A nine month old baby, who was also in the car, died a few months later.
At the time of his death, Culp was serving an almost ten year sentence for both crimes.
The Benton County Sheriff is now launching an independent investigation into Culp's death.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home