SPOKANE, Wash. - Each year our local Salvation Army distributes backpacks, fully stocked with school supplies, to families in need, and they're looking for people to donate to the cause and help those families send their kids to school with confidence.
Sheila Geraghty always gets nervous this time of year as the bins the Salvation Army puts out for school supplies look a little bare. She's hoping donations start coming in.
Last year their goal was to collect and fill more than 4,000 backpacks. They met that goal but this year they're looking to fill more backpacks.
In particular, Geraghty said they are looking for items like "high school school supplies which are the thumb drives, calculators, protractors, compasses, college ruled paper."
Donating to the backpack drive is an easy way to make a big difference in the life of kids right here in Spokane.
"When a child has everything they need on that first day of school it is a huge confident wonderful feeling for them. We want to make sure that any child that needs a brand new backpack full of school supplies can come here to the salvation army and get it," Geraghty said.
You can donate cash at any area Cenex ZipTrip; new school supplies and backpacks can be purchased and donated at area Fred Meyers and Shopko stores.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday