SPOKANE, Wash. - A man arrested after stabbing his grandfather Thursday night has now been charged in a separate stabbing where a man was stabbed 19 times in the back while walking to a North Spokane drug store.
Joel Arevalo, 21, was arrested after stabbing his step-grandfather following an argument between the two men around 11 p.m. Thursday. Arevalo fled the scene after reportedly stabbing his grandfather in the chest while he was lying in bed.
Police K-9s were able to track Arevalo down a short distance away and he was arrested on burglary and assault charges.
His grandfather is expected to survive his injuries.
Police reported Friday afternoon that Arevalo has also been charged in a stabbing in North Spokane.
Earlier in the week, a man was walking to a North Spokane Walgreen's when he was stabbed in the back multiple times. He went to his friend's house in the 100 block of N. Dalton for help.
"He looked up at me and goes 'Penny' and I grabbed him and he was all bloody. Me and the lady across the street took him into the house, he was stabbed pretty bad," Penny Chenoweth said.
Police say the victim in that stabbing suffered non-life threatening injuries.
There's no word yet on what the connection is between Arevalo and the victim.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday