SPOKANE, Wash. - The AMC Theatres in downtown Spokane were evacuated for a short time Thursday night for what turned out to be an overheated air conditioning unit.
Reports of a plastic-like burning smell and smoke led to the evacuation of all theater patrons.
Hundreds of people poured into the streets, and witnesses reported smelling smoke before being evacuated.
Minutes later, people were seen being motioned back into the building.
Spokane Fire Department then confirmed an overheated air conditioning unit caused the smoke.
Theater employees confirmed no shows were cancelled. Most of the customers were there to see the film, "The Dark Knight Rises", which premiered at midnight Friday.
- CDA students fuse technology, creativity and garner international attention
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car