SPOKANE, Wash. - Police are investigating a double shooting that left one dead and another injured in east Spokane Monday night.
The shooting call came in around 10 p.m. at the Neighborhood Grocery store, located at 3400 E. Euclid, that people had been shot and the suspect had fled the store.
Less than a minute later, officers arrived at the grocery store and found one victim dead and a second suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.Grocery Store shooting folo
While searching for the suspect, police found a car crashed a short distance away at the intersection of Thor and Carlisle. Air 1 was launched and a short time later located the suspect hiding along the river under the Greene Street Bridge.
The helicopter directed officers to the scene and they took the suspect, alter identified as Shannon Johnson, 33, into custody on charges of second degree murder and first degree assault.
The one victim that survived the shooting was taken to the hospital, where he is being treated for his injuries. Police report he is in critical condition.
Officers will be looking at surveillance video to see what led up to the shooting inside the store.
Spokane Police had extra officers on duty for New Year's Eve, which played a role in catching the shooting suspect within an hour of the shooting.
- Spokane police officer saves woman from burning car
- Update: Northern Idaho authorities clear deputy in fatal crash
- One person killed in early morning house fire
- Viral video features Spokane area airmen being blocked by protesters
- 92-year-old man attempts snow shoeing for first time
- Thousands participate in Spokane Women's March