One killed in downtown Spokane hotel shooting

SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Major Crimes detectives are investigating a fatal shooting in the parking lot of the Days Inn hotel in downtown Spokane.

The shooting happened at the hotel, located at 3rd Avenue and McClellan Street. Police said witnesses called 911 around 4 a.m. Thursday when they heard six or seven gunshots.

Police tried to do CPR on the man when they arrived, but they were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead around 4:45 a.m.

A handgun and a pillowcase were found near each other, in the parking lot. They are not saying what they believe the pillowcase was used for or who the gun belonged to.

Major crimes investigates fatal shooting in Days Inn parking lot

"We're still so early in the investigation, it's hard to tell what happened," Officer Jennifer DeRuwe said. "The whys, the motives, if the people knew each other, if they didn't know each other. We just know there was some sort of a fight, and then it ended up with the gunfire."

Search warrants were executed on three of the hotel rooms as investigators looked for more information and evidence.

"It sounds like maybe there was evidence in those rooms, or someone came out of those rooms that may be involved in it," Officer DeRuwe said.

Police said the man who was shot and killed was 34 years old, was not from Spokane but according to his ID was from Washington. They did not provide any further information about the victim's identity.

The victim was not staying at the hotel.

Spokane police are looking for suspects and are working to obtain surveillance video to assist in the shooting investigation.

Police were allowing guests to leave the hotel on foot but not leave in their cars.

With several unsolved homicides this year, detectives say another murder investigation is spreading them thin.

"This taps us out. We were just talking yesterday about how many cases we've reviewed this year, and just for the major crimes unit we're touching right around 800," Major Crimes Lieutenant Joe Walker said.

The medical examiner will identify the man after an autopsy scheduled for Thursday.