SPOKANE, Wash. - Police say a Spokane murder suspect accidentally shot himself in the leg and nearly bled to death when he mistakenly thought he was getting pulled over by police in Pasco.
Detectives say they have probable cause to arrest 26-year-old Brandon Mellon for a fatal shooting in the 2200 block of North Astor Friday night.
Witnesses say they saw the gunman run up the stairs of the victim's apartment, fire the fatal shots and then leave the area.
Detectives then developed information that Mellon had threatened to have a shootout with officers rather than go back to jail. Mellon thought he was getting pulled over in the Tri-Cities and was trying to get his gun out of his pants when he shot himself in the leg and nearly bled to death.
He eventually ended up in a Portland hospital.
"We've been in contact with the Portland Bureau of Police and they will stand guard over him until we can work through extradition process," Spokane Police Captain Joe Walker said.
Detectives have asked prosecutors to charge Mellon with first degree murder however police don't want to arrest him right now because Spokane taxpayers would be responsible for his medical bills.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line