SPOKANE, Wash. - A Spokane homeowner chased a pair of burglars with a kitchen knife Wednesday night after he caught them eating pizza inside his home.
Just before 7 p.m. Wednesday , Gary Dressler said he knew something wasn't right when he tried to open his front door and it jammed.
"I found a couple screens on the ground, found an open window in the back, knew something was wrong and I couldn't push through the door," Gary Dressler said.Homeowner chases burglars with kitchen knife
When Dressler was finally able to open the door, a large kitchen knife fell from the door jam.
"They were keeping people out, keeping me out," he added.
Dressler said the couple was eating pizza and a plate crashed to the ground as they ran away.
"Heard the door slam in the back, picked up knife laying on the floor here and went after them," he said.
Dressler said he sprinted down the alley behind his home to keep up. He called 911 and within minutes police arrested one of the suspects, 36 year old Richard Denman.
Denman now faces a residential burglar charge.
The female suspect has not been arrested.
Dressler said he was out of town for a few days, so it's not clear how long the burglars were making themselves at home or what they took.
"I think there is some stuff missing we're not sure what," he said.
- CDA students fuse technology, creativity and garner international attention
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car