SPOKANE, Wash. - If you received a gift card to a hardware store for Christmas and you don't even know how to use a hammer there is hope. You can trade that card in for cash.
You've heard of Black Friday and Cyber Monday; well know there's Gift Card Exchange Day.
This is how it works. You log on to giftcardexchange.com, choose the store you have a gift card to and the amount. Then you'll get a quote for several companies offering to buy that card from you.
However you will not get face value for the card as companies take a slice. For example a $100 gift card to AMC will get you $75 in cash. For a $100 Home Depot card bids start at $88, while on the other hand a $100 gift card from JC Penny is getting a $67 bid, so it's not always a good deal.
So why is there a Gift Card Exchange Day anyway? It's estimated the average household has $300 in unredeemed gift cards. Between 2005 and 2011 $41 Billion in gift cards went unused.
If you want to do this in person Safeway has teamed up with Western Union to help make that happen. All you need is a valid ID and the card must have at least $20 on it to get cash.
- City Council approves $1.75m loan for Ridpath Redevelopment
- Mail Theft Ring Suspect Arrested
- City working to fill potholes despite poor road conditions
- Wrongful death lawsuit over case of Brenda Thurman still unresolved
- Post Falls company under fire for racist image
- Officer not charged in May 2016 shooting