SPOKANE, Wash. - A Spokane couple is homeless for the holidays after a fire ripped through their apartment near Gonzaga last week.
"I think we are both still shocked," fire victim Alea Newman said.
Last Tuesday fire severely damaged Newman and her boyfriend William Cox's apartment near Gonzaga.Fire leaves couple homeless for the holidays
"Almost all of our clothes are gone, everything, important papers," Newman said.
Thanks to SNAP the couple has a place to stay for the next week and a half but after that it's the unknown.
"I never thought I'd be homeless," Cox said.
"I have my times where I will cry and then I will be fine and then I will cry," Newman said.
The couple was just starting to get back on their feet before the fire. Now almost everything they own is lost in the rubble.
"I know it's up to us to get back there and get on our feet," Cox said. But they need a little help from the community.
"Even like socks and slippers, I know that sounds dumb to a normal person," Newman said.
In ten days they'll be out of the motel they have been staying at. While their future isn't clear, the little cross that hangs by their bed provides them with hope.
You can help William and Alea get back on their feet. They have a donation account set up at Wells Fargo under "The Family of Bill and Alea Cox."
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties